Monday, 8 February 2016

My first Chinese New Year blog post!

If you're looking for a blog post about Chinese New Year and its customs, then sorry, you aren't getting that. But if you're looking for a good excuse to change your New Year's Resolution(s), then you've come to the right place.

Ever since I discovered that an accident in biology and environment meant that I could indulge in two New Year's Days, I've made New Year's Resolutions every 31st of December, tweaked these until the arrival of the Chinese New Year, and then followed the ones I could keep until the next 31st of December. It makes keeping New Year's Resolutions so easy!

This year, however, I have decided to dispense with my tried-and-tested method by adding in New Year's Resolutions to replace the ones I have decided not to keep.

This came about after I went shopping for drinks. Now, when I buy something that screams that it's an elderflower-containing drink, I expect elderflower in my drink. It was only after I'd drunk some of it and wondered why it didn't taste of elderflower that I read this:


My drink contained apple juice. Apple juice which I didn't buy willingly. Apple juice which I would have preferred to drink neat, not diluted with Mexican lime. I have nothing against Mexican things, but I do have a problem with adding any sort of lime to my apple juice.

My morello cherry drink fared better - at least it contained this:

This made me wonder: if the other 95% of the drink is not morello cherry, then why does the label look like this:


So once I discarded some New Year's Resolutions I couldn't keep, I decided on these two: 1. to drink alternatives to these drinks and 2. to take time to read every label on every bit of food before I buy my food.

And if you're wondering, I wish I could say I was in Neverland, but no, I'm in a first world country called the UK.

Why is this allowed here in the UK? Why have we allowed ourselves to be sold lies about what we put into ourselves? Why are we consumers so lazy and trusting?

Wishing you a happy and prosperous New Year (if you celebrate it) and if you don't, enjoy the fireworks!

祝你猴年步步高升,万事如意!欢迎光临,谢谢阅读!


No comments:

Post a Comment