Saturday, 28 December 2013

Something worth reading before watching the new 'Hobbit' film!

I hope you had a nice Christmas and festive season! Following a not-so-traditional Christmas dinner which is the tradition in my family (we had roast beef and Yorkshire pudding because that's what we wanted), we ended up watching telly after our attempts to play a game turned into a recurring round of 'Who's Got the Loudest Hack?' (yes, we all got the flu!).

When I had a moment, I read The Soddit by ARRR Roberts:
 

Don't let that title and the fact that this contains British humour put you off. It is a very funny parody of The Hobbit by Tolkien, and well worth the read!

I found the jokes and humour easy to get, but perhaps that's because I'm familiar with The Hobbit and with British English. With Bored of the Rings, I had to work out what a frito was and even then, I couldn't get the frito jokes because there are no fritos where I live. Are Doritos fritos?

Anyway, some scenes in the first Hobbit film made so much more sense after The Soddit. For example, I always suspected that Tolkien's dwarves spoke with Welsh accents and that his elves sounded Irish, and wondered why the dwarves sounded Irish in the films and the elves sounded, well, like elves. Now I know why. Oh, and I will never look at wizards and dragons the same way again. Ever.

So yes, read The Soddit after reading The Hobbit and definitely before watching the Hobbit films. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment