Thursday, 20 June 2013

A memorable occasion I should've marked last week!!!

Or, how to blog, and what a blog is for!

Last week, @bbcthree and @bbcgoodnews challenged the viewers of the BBC Three comedy-news-satire show 'Russell Howard's Good News' to write a poem about Russell on Twitter. The prize? The pride of having your poem retweeted by someone in the Beeb.

If you aren't familiar with 'Russell Howard's Good News', it is worth watching; you can find clips on Youtube. Better still, you can get DVDs. I can count, on one hand, the number of comedians who can make everyone in my family laugh, and as Russell Howard is one of them, he's in my top five.

Naturally, me being me, I didn't find out about the challenge until late in the day. The BBC had written a poem using 'RUSSELL' to begin each line/stanza, so I thought I'd rise to the challenge and do the same. I noticed that just one other person had used 'HOWARD', so I thought, well, why not?

The next step was to figure out what to write about Russell Howard. I mean, I don't know him personally, and I could only go by what I see on his show. I made the decision to thank Russell for making me and my family laugh, and to write about what I see his talents to be, and what I like about his show. 'Laugh' had to be there, and 'W','A',  'R' and 'D' were quickly sorted. I toyed with beginning with 'Russell', but then realised that wasn't necessary. I felt I ought to describe his show instead, so 'R', 'U', 'S' and 'S' were sorted. And before I knew it, I had a poem.

In the end, I submitted this:

'Real, Utterly Silly Story Elicits Loud Laughs and Hiccups Owing to Witty And Rapid Delivery'.

That was last Thursday.

The next day, I woke up to a surprise: @bbcgoodnews and others had retweeted it! The rest of my day was lovely. 

BTW, his show comes on on Thursday nights on BBC Three in the UK. I forgot to post this on my blog, until his show coming on reminded me, hence the week-long delay :-). Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment